Emergency Dentist Oakland, CA
While patients can avoid many oral problems with preventative care and regular visits to the dentist, emergency dental treatment is occasionally necessary. Dentists may administer this type of care during or outside of regular office hours to help patients with various oral problems, such as infections or missing teeth. Emergency dental treatment is care administered to relieve mouth pain without prior scheduling.
Emergency dental treatment is available at Laurel Smile Dentistry in Oakland and the surrounding area. We use this type of treatment to care for many common mouth problems to improve patients' oral health. Proper care and treatment are essential for helping patients recuperate from a dental emergency.
If you are experiencing severe mouth pain and need immediate medical treatment, call us at (510) 240-7264 to make an appointment and have your oral health restored.
How Emergency Dentistry Works
Most dental practices offer routine checkups and cleanings with appointments. For most minor problems, patients can call ahead to schedule an appointment within a few days to resolve the issue. Emergency dentistry treats patients dealing with significant dental trauma who need immediate care.
“Emergency dentistry treats patients dealing with significant dental trauma who need immediate care.”
When To Visit an Emergency Dentist
Not all oral problems require emergency dental care, so patients must examine their situation before making an appointment. Most minor issues can wait a few days for a scheduled appointment. However, there are several reasons to seek emergency dental care:
- Restorative emergencies: Accidents can occur at any time, and in the event of a missing or chipped tooth, it is best to seek immediate care. Restorative emergencies require dental care to preserve teeth, so they remain functional. Dentists can then replace teeth to restore the patient’s smile.
- Severe gum pain: According to WebMD, patients should visit the dentist if minor tooth, jaw, or gum pain lasts more than two days. However, those who are in extreme pain should visit the dentist immediately. Pain that persists despite taking over-the-counter medications, such as Aleve®, Tylenol®, or Advil®, could indicate a serious infection or gum disease.
- Tooth abscess: Tooth abscesses are caused by pockets of pus that develop underneath teeth. In addition to being extremely painful, a tooth abscess can lead to a life-threatening infection if left untreated. Seeking immediate care allows dentists to drain the pus that causes the pain before the problem becomes more severe.
- Lost fillings: When patients lose cavity fillings or crowns, the opening is susceptible to infection. Replacing lost crowns and fillings eliminates pain and reduces the chance of infection setting in. Waiting to receive this treatment could elevate patients’ pain.
“…there are several reasons to seek emergency dental care.”
Benefits of Emergency Dental Care
Emergency dental treatment helps relieve mouth pain quickly and effectively. Dental trauma can occur from an accident or an injury. Seeking immediate care when a problem occurs prevents it from becoming a more extensive issue requiring harsher treatments. By taking control of dental emergencies and visiting the dentist immediately, patients can drastically improve their oral health.
“Seeking immediate care when a problem occurs prevents it from becoming a more extensive issue requiring harsher treatments.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Emergency Dentist in Oakland, CA
Treatments for Dental Emergencies
Since there are many types of dental emergencies, treatment options vary. The dentist will first examine the problem to determine the best course of treatment. After diagnosing the issue, the dentist can either treat the infection, remove the infected tooth, or replace missing tooth fragments. The dentist may also prescribe pain medication or antibiotics to aid in recovery.
“Since there are many types of dental emergencies, treatment options vary.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
What To Do While Waiting For Emergency Dental Treatment
If a patient is suffering from any kind of dental trauma, the first thing to do is contact the dentist for instructions. Treatment options vary depending upon the type of problem. For a lost filling or crown, patients can use a small piece of sugarless gum to cover the opening temporarily. Mouth pain can sometimes be alleviated with over-the-counter medications, while extensive dental trauma may require patients to pack their mouths with gauze.
“If a patient is suffering from any kind of dental trauma, the first thing to do is contact the dentist for instructions.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does emergency dental care hurt?
A. While many emergency dental treatments are uncomfortable, dentists will try to keep patients comfortable as possible. More pain may occur during the recovery period. The dentist can provide pain medication to keep patients comfortable during the recovery process.
Q. Is emergency dental care preventable?
A. According to the Texas A&M University Health Science Center, most dental emergencies are preventable with proper preventable care. If patients neglect regular oral care, minor issues can quickly escalate into major problems that require extensive intervention. However, unpreventable accidents do happen occasionally.
Q. How can a displaced tooth be preserved during a dental emergency?
A. The American Academy of Endodontists states that a dislodged tooth can be preserved and restored with proper medical care. After locating the fragment or whole tooth, the patient should place it in a glass of milk or warm saltwater. This preserves the tooth until the dentist can replace it.
Q. How is a restorative emergency different from another dental emergency?
A. Restorative emergencies are often cosmetic and functional in nature, while other dental emergencies typically result in more pain. A chipped tooth may be uncomfortable, but depending upon its placement, cosmetic appearance or functionality may be a bigger concern than pain. Because of this, the dentist may use dental cement or glue to fasten the fragment back in place before restoring its appearance.
Q. What qualifies as a dental emergency?
A. Any type of dental trauma can require emergency dental care. Whether it is caused by an infected tooth, diseased gums, or an accident, a dental emergency needs quick intervention to relieve pain. Therefore, any oral health problem that demands immediate attention qualifies as a dental emergency.
Q. How does emergency dental treatment benefit oral health?
A. Ignoring dental problems can lead to deteriorating oral health. While preventative care is the first line of defense against major dental problems, emergency dental procedures may eliminate the issue once it occurs. By making patients aware of the contributing factors that led to the problem, emergency dental treatment may prevent the issue from recurring and lead to better overall health.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Impacted Wisdom Tooth
- An impacted wisdom tooth is a tooth that does not erupt from the gums properly that can cause pain and become infected without professional extraction.
- Lateral Luxation
- Lateral luxation is the displacement of a tooth that moves it in the wrong direction while it is still attached to the gums.
- Tooth Avulsion
- Tooth avulsion is when the tooth completely displaces from the socket due to an accident or other health issues. We can replant the tooth if the patient seeks immediate care.
Learn More About How Emergency Dental Care Can Help You
A dental emergency can be frightening, and it is important to seek medical attention as quickly as possible. Our practitioners can treat your problem to relieve mouth pain quickly. Call Laurel Smile Dentistry at 510-240-7264 today to schedule an appointment in Oakland.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2021
About our business, license, and website security
- Laurel Smile Dentistry was established in 2010.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Alameda County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Oakland, Alameda, Emeryville, Piedmont and San Lorenzo
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic therapy, is one of the most common dental procedures performed, but it’s certainly not one of the most enjoyable. It’s unpleasant to think about having an infected tooth removed and some of your jawbone along with it. To make things worse, it can be difficult to know if…
Dental fillings are the perfect resolution to having a cavity and preventing more tooth decay. However, they do not last forever. If you opt to pay for the more expensive cast gold or porcelain fillings, then you are looking at up to 15 years before they may need to be replaced.Start taking care of your…
Anyone considering getting dentures to replace part or all of their teeth needs to look into all of the options available today. They have come a long way, and there is no reason for anyone not to take advantage of all their choices. Here is a list of different types, and there is always one…